Are you a new player? Learn how to renovate, decorate and add furniture and items to your Sims' homes. Become skilled with the build mode feature and make your house a home!
- Frequently asked questions
- Back to basics
- Navigating the home store
- Placing and storing items
- Duplication button
- Renovation tips and tricks
Frequently asked questions
Can I sell more than one item at once?
No, you can only sell one item at a time. Objects can be duplicated when they are placed, however.
What is the home store?
The build mode or home store is the blue chair and lamp icon in the bottom of your screen which gives access to creating the basics of your house (rooms, floors, rooves, etc) and furnishing your home (adding, moving and storing objects).
Why is there a footsteps icon appearing above my Sims' head?
Your Sim can't interact with that object because it needs to be moved and there isn't room for the Sim to use it. Open the build mode and rotate or move the object so that the arrow(s) are pointing towards an open space. For more information see this article.
Back to basics
Let's get into decorating your home from scratch. Create a room in your house, then open the home store and scroll to the last few tabs to find floors, walls, doors, roofing, windows and exterior walls tabs. If you're on a tablet you might need to tap the 'House' tab first.
To add a floor, select a texture then inside a room to see the cost or confirm your choice with the tick icon. Next, tap windows to bring some light into the house - then add some doors so your Sims can leave the room! We recommend doing this before picking a wallpaper so you can match them with your walls if you choose. Open the walls tab to choose a wallpaper. To change the outside walls of your house tap exterior walls, then add roof textures in the tab with the two flags called roofing.
Tip: Select the "X" icon after placing a floor, wall or roofing if you change your mind on how it looks.
Navigating the home store
If you're on a smaller device (such as a smartphone) everything is combined into one section of the home store, with only the inventory, balconies, floor construction, patios and basements separate.
If you're on a larger device such as an iPad or Tablet you will find a separate section for 'House' creation which includes everything you need to create the basics of your home. Things like wallpaper, roof tiles, floors and basements, patios and balconies (if you have completed the relevant quests) can be found here.
Placing and storing items
Tap on an object from any section of the home store to start placing furniture in your home. Click the green tick (1) to place the item or the red "X" (2) if you don't want too. You can also purchase and duplicate the item (3), rotate it, or move (5) it. Once the item is placed you can also store it in your inventory (6) or sell (7) the item at a lower price. Storing an item in your inventory will allow you to use in later or take it to another house!
TIP: To find items you've placed in your inventory, tap the light blue bag (inventory) icon to open it.
Why can't I place objects here?
Some items aren't meant for certain places.
- Due to graphical limitations tables, chairs and other objects can't be placed in front of curtains or blinds
- Objects can't be placed in front of doors
- In the threshold of a penthouse apartment, you need at least 3x2 empty squares available outside the front of the Elevator to place a door or other objects.
- Click the tick icon to place the object
- Tap on the object again, and tap the duplicate button (located above the rotate icon)
- You can still rotate the object or cancel the duplication here
Tap on any placed object to receive the edit options for the object and duplicate it again. Objects only duplicate to the right, even if you rotate them. Duplicated items will be purchased. You can see the price of the item next to the confirmation button when duplicating.
Renovation Tips and tricks
- Don't over-clutter homes, aim to build big rooms. Overcluttered homes cause Sims to be unable to use objects (the footsteps icon above Sim heads).
- Not sure what color scheme or furniture choices to go with? Check out the Architect Homes tab when selecting a house template to build on an empty lot. You can view the houses without purchasing them for some inspiration!